Moonshiner's Clan - 19 JUL 62


Thurs 19 JUL 62
The ONCE IN A LIFETIME MYSTIC

RITES OF TRANSITION VIA VISIONS FOR TWO MT-MEN
First Hand Account:
   “Last night was warm. So I moved away from the campfire.  I was tired, and I lay back on a flat rock meditating. While looking up at the moonlit sky, a strange and subtle change came over me. The other men were a short distance off, singing and talking and drinking hot cocos.  Shivering even in the heat of the night, I closed my eyes momentarily.  When I opened them, the first thing I saw was a running deer staringat me frm the glowing clouds.  I was hypnotized.  I stayed in tehat one position throughout the evening.  As the hours passed, the visions I saw fell into two categories:  running animals an shapes rom the underworld – things like skulls, skeletons and devil’s heads.  Another important factor in weaving the spell of the night was the songs Lingo and the men were singing around the flameless, violently glowing campfire: “Ghost Riders in the Sky’, forest fire songs, min cave-in songs.  Everything tied together. Just as I saw a triangle of death heads, Lingo started singing the eerie chant-song about the notorious stalking shots of these hills: Charlie! I felt it all coming together. I now know who I am. I now am Running Phantom! I am now at peace with myself.”
Running Phantom Gleichman
(Soon going to school in Switzerland)
Quiet Deer Passes Over The Mysterious Line:
   Yesterday morning before the sun rose, he went up to the crest alone, with no food and only a half canteen of water. The night before, a half dozen of the men went over to his sleeping bag, hunkered down and talked tith him for a while, trying to give him encouragement and strength for his coming ordeal. He was gone long before we got up.  We wondered about him as we went through our day, glancing up in his direction beyond our horizon.  He came down long after the day was over.  We trusted in his afety, of course, but still it was a relief to see him come back into Base Camp. He said nothing for quite a while. Then, with the flames casting shadows on his serous face of 13 years, he told us how it was up there.  He told us of his faintness, of the black whirls in the overcast sky, of the sounds.  Then he said, “I am no longer Quiet Der.  I am now called SINGING WHIRLWIND IN THE SKY!”  We accepted him. 
Soaring Falcon In The Sun
###########################################################
CONSTRUCTION OF NEW LEAN-TOS
   With all men checked out on first principles of food, sanitation, axe, knife, fire and morale, it was time to integrate all these things.  Groups of twos and threes went out, selected sites, selected Y-pole timber and set about constructing their own independent camps. Buckskin, Firebug and Shooting Star built ‘Aspen Paradise”.  Squirrel, Panther Track and Professor constructed the “Bamboo Hideaway”.  Possum and Silver Streak put up “The City-County Building” and Ded Wud and Whirlwind made “The Public Library”, both of which are located in City Park.  Axes axed, shovels dug, hands and arms and shoulders lugged, men grunted, and much furious work was accomplished before nightfall. Who can describe the deep inner feeling that a man gets when he sleeps the first night in a shelter he made himself with a good fire blazing in front?


No comments:

Post a Comment